Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter

I can't believe that Gordy is DONE with his first year of law school classes! He has really been such a trooper. As if law school isn't stressful enough, he has more than successfully balanced transitioning into his new role as a dad and has some how managed to keep his sometimes needy wife happy. Jack and I love him and are so proud of all he has accomplished this year.

Now it's on to the most dreaded part of the semester.... finals. Yuck.
Gordy has his first final this Wednesday.

Easter was yesterday. It is so nice to have a specific time set aside to celebrate the atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I am still so amazed that such a tremendous sacrifice was made on my behalf.

Easter is usually a Sunday where every one dresses extra special (i.e. Easter dresses for little girls), and I thought "Why can't little boys look special on Easter?". I really wanted to dress Jack up on Sunday, but we are poor law students who's budget doesn't necessarily have room for extras like new baby outfits just because mom wants to put him in something new. So I got my craft blogging on and decided that I was capable of making something cute for Jack.

I pulled out an old pair of my slacks and some scrap fabric and got to work. I started out only making a vest on his onesie, but then I found another tutorial for the bow-tie, and then another one for a hat, and then I decided he needed pants, so I just made a pattern for those... and this is how it turned out...


Pretty cute right!?

After making Jack's outfit I was feeling really confident in my beginner sewing capabilities so I decided to make Gordy a tie to match Jack's bow-tie. THEN I realized I didn't want to be the only one not matching, so I made a rosette bib necklace that I could wear. Usually I'm not into the whole matchy-matchy thing, but as you can tell, I got really carried away. The best part is that I made all of these cute things and I didn't spend a penny!
I'm now living proof that you don't actually have to know how to do anything these days.
Just go online and find a tutorial.


After church we came home and got ready for our Easter dinner. Jack got a new treat.
He's been reaching for our food and our drinks while smacking his lips for a couple of weeks now, so we decided that it was time to introduce him to a culinary masterpiece: rice cereal.


He loved every last bite of it...


... and we couldn't shovel it in his mouth fast enough...


... and he was attacking the bowl with his mouth...


.... so he finished the bowl off like this, drinking it like he couldn't possibly have anything more delicious ever in his entire life. We were really pleased that he liked it so much.

Gordy made an appetizer for us, because it's not really easter unless you have a deviled egg. These were delicious! Gordy did a great job.
I seriously have never had such a delicious deviled egg.
I also made my first ever ham, and it turned out pretty good.
Sadly, we did not take a picture of it because we were ready to eat by three o'clock.
It had an orange zest and juice, dijon mustard, and brown sugar glaze.
Thank you Food Network Magazine.

Then we had the Castellano's, the Rickey's, and the Leavitt's over for Easter dinner. It was so fun to have company over. If you can't be with your family on the holidays, it's so nice to have good friends as stand ins.
Everyone squished into our tiny dining room.

4 comments:

Al and Ash said...

Wow, Jenn. Jack's outfit is so adorable, and the tie and your necklace. I am in awe.

Jack is so so cute! I can't believe that he is already eating rice cereal. Time goes way way too fast.

Love you guys!

McAnnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McAnnie said...

Jen you are so crafty and talented. I miss your cute family!

Kristen said...

I love these pictures, and I LOVE everything you made, I'm very impressed. And could Jack BE any cuter???